Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

project update

spending the majority of today in my room I have made some serious progress on the high rise tower project.  after visiting the site and gathering tons of information/pictures/analysis, I started to work out some models and sketches of early design ideas.

I started my thinking by asking myself one question:  "what is it that the high rise towers in San Diego lack?"  this question can simply be answered by saying that all of these towers are not special to San Diego at all.  they have no identity and no connection to the beautiful city in which they are located.  so then I asked myself one more question:  "what does San Diego offer to this project?"  1)  sun, 2)  gorgeous blue skies year round, 3)  consistent warm temperature, 4)  a breeding ground for new ideas.

the concept that I am currently working with is the sailboat.  it is notorious with San Diego, but it was not this that attracted me to using the concept of a sailboat.  I loved the idea of the thin white sails of the boat slicing through the great blue ocean mass.  from that view I started to work some ideas out with models and sketches.

Concept: Sailboat cutting through the water

This was a first sketch done yesterday


The next sketches are worked out roughly to give me an idea of what my idea could become





This sketch inspired most of what the study model looks like.
I started to look at more of the ocean than just the blue water.
The white foam occurs when there is movement in the water.

The model is at 1/16" = 1' - 0"

Street view for a pedestrian looking up at the tower


I really feel that I have a great start with all of this and I can't wait to work out of some other ideas soon.  another aspect that will really drive my design will be the overall structure of the building as well as how mechanical work (HVAC, plumbing, electrical) systems will work within the building.

1 comment: