Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

tuesdays at morrie and mitch's

project overview:
design a 200 sq. ft. home for two characters in a story (my characters being mitch and morrie).

main concept: intersecting lives at a critical point

from this main concept i developed my home as T shape with a slight tweak. this form represents the coming together of two very separate lives (mitch and morrie). where these two lives crash into each other i placed the most critical room in the house, the library. the library is the place where these two characters will come together to read and learn about the world around them and each other. also, i used to very distinctly different materials, wood and steel, to also represent the coming together of these two characters.

the final part of the program that i added was a music room because both of these characters had a passion for the art of music and ultimately lost it. with this additional music room i intend for them to rekindle their love for the art and express it together with their families and the world around them.

the presentation:

i think overall my presentation went pretty well. i had a good site model with a great 1/8" model on the side that i was very proud of my craftsmanship. my boards, although the drawings were done really well, was not up to par with what was expected. i did have higher expectations for myself but just could not quite get there. i had a hard time really making it flow together so i tried using green bands, but ultimately over saturated it with green. plus the printer did not help me much since the green came out even brighter on the print out than it did on the computer screen.

anyway, i did receive one comment that was very valuable that i thought was more important than the criticism about my boards because i already knew i could improve on it. the comment was this: "matt has very good architecture here. although his board doesnt do it justice, he has a very simple form that creates some really good spaces" *picks up my model to show the class* "look at how he tweaked the building ever so slightly, but created so many of these really cool in between spaces. like look at this one!" *pointing to my upper deck level* "this is such a cool space and i could this building with so much architectural potential"

with that here is my project:

*my presentation board was 40" x 60"


*floor plans of the two story home


*my main perspective of the
home from the grass park


*basswood model at 1/8" = 1' - 0" scale

No comments:

Post a Comment