Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

operable screen update

lately I've really been struggling with the design of my mid rise structure.  I am very confident with the overall form and the concepts I am using but I want to go really into depth with my operable screen system and make that the most important part of my project (because it basically already is).  with that in mind, I've been testing out many different schemes for my operable screens and after many headaches and sketches I've come full circle back to my original design of the larger panels that slide as one piece.  within this idea I thought of punching out a window within the screen which, when lined up with the unit's window, will allow light and air into the unit.
The screens directly in front are the ones I am going with.  To the right are some designs that
I feel will not have as big an impact on the concept of this "moving skin" as much as the sliding screens will.

by placing this small punch out into the base of the screen, it will allow light to still enter the space while protecting from direct sun rays.  incorporating operable windows within the unit, a person could open a small opening and allow light and air to enter the space without being bombarded with direct light.  I think this is the idea I am going to develop further and I am actually pretty excited about this one.  it allows me to articulate the windows of the building as well as design the operable screens as well.  now, my building will take a very simple and rational form, and utilize small details within to make it a more dynamic design.  stay tuned for progress!

This perforated material will still allow some sunlight to enter but greatly reduce thermal heat gain.
It will be affective during the day to block sunlight but still allow enough natural light to enter the unit
so that no artificial lighting is required throughout the day.

Similar to this project, by Morphosis Architects, the perforated screens will allow light
to shine through the screens from inside the units.  This will add a cool affect during the nighttime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment